Omkareshwar Temple (ओम्कारेश्वर महादेव ज्योतिर्लिंग )- popularly known as Omkareshwar or Omkareshwar Mandir is a famous Jyotirlinga (Pilgrimage) of Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva’s Omkareshwar Temple is situated on Mandhata Islands which is next to Narmada. There are 12 main Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva and – OMKARESHWAR is one of them.
Other famous Shivlings are present in Varanasi, Haridwar, Rishikesh etc.
(A detailed and definitive guide on Shree Omkareshwar mandir (temple) .
What is Omkareshwar? What is the History?
There is a various interesting story about Omkareshwar Mahadev Jyotirlinga as per Ref –
- According to Hinduism, Vindyanchal Mountains Diety, also known as Vindya, was worshipping Lord Shiva. Vindya created a sacred geometrical diagram of Sand and Clay along with Lingam. Seeing his worship, Lord Shiva was very much pleased and as per belief, he appeared in two forms- “Omkareshwar” and “Amaleswara”. Because of the shape of its form resembling- “Om” – the island got the name- “Omkareshwar“. There is a shrine for Parvati and five-faced Ganapati in the temple.
- Another belief about the temple is related to Mandhata and his son’s penance. King Mandhata- worshipped Bhagwan Shiva for a long time. Happy with his worship, Lord Shiva manifested himself as a Jyotirlinga. Because of this, the mountain is named Mandhata.
- Next Story – There was a great war Dev and Danav War which unfortunately Danavas won. Lost Devas prayed to Lord Shiva. Pleased with the prayers of Devas (Gods), Lord Shiva emerged in the form of Omkareshwar Jyotirlinga. Then he defeated Danavas.
Festivals celebrated at “OMKARESHWAR” Temple
Here’s the list of a few major festivals celebrated here:
Festivals of Omkareshwar are Holi and Diwali.
Ganesh Chaturthi: During the months of August – September.
- Anant Chaudas: Around September.
Mahashivratri: Lord Shiva’s popular festival. Mahashivratri is celebrated during the month of February- March. You can practice Yoga and Meditation during the night. People keep fast and offer Milk, BelPatras, Dhaturas and various other favorite items of Lord Shiva.
What are the Pooja Timings at Omkareshwar Temple?
- Opening Time – “Omkareshwar” Mahadev Temple opens at 5:00 AM and closes at 9:30 PM.
- Mangal Aarti Timings – 5 AM to 5:30 AM
- Jalabhishek Timings – 5:30 AM to 12:25 PM.
- The sanctum is closed between 3:50 PM to 4:15 PM.
- Evening Darshan Starts – 4:15 PM
- Evening Aarti is conducted from 8:20 PM to 9:05 PM.
Please Note – Special darshan is available for handicapped people or for people who are unable to stand for general darshan.
12 Jyotirlingas लिस्ट
All 12 Jyotirlingas in India are as follows –
सोमनाथ – गुजरात.
ओंकार / अमलेश्वर -मध्यप्रदेश
त्र्यंबकेश्वर – महाराष्ट्र
नागेश (नागनाथ)- गुजरात
वैद्यनाथ (वैजनाथ)- महाराष्ट्र
विश्वेश्वर – उत्तरप्रदेश
रामेश्वर – तमिलनाडु.
घृष्णेश्वर (घृष्णेश) – महाराष्ट्र.
मल्लिकार्जुन – आंध्रप्रदेश
How to reach Omkareshwar Temple?
Omkareshwar Temple is very much easily approachable place in Madhya Pradesh (India)
Through Road: You can use various private Taxi Services. Also several state government and private buses are there for you to reach Omkareshwar. Major Nearby cities are Indore (around 85 Km), Ujjain (around 130 Km), Khandwa (73 km), Bhopal (Approx 268 Km), Mumbai (Approx 570 km), Jalgaon (222 Km), Vadodara (Nearly 375 km) and Nagpur (Approx 440 Km)
By Rail: Nearest Railway Station is – Omkareshwar Railway Station which is Approx 12 km. Direct connectivity from major cities and town of India like – Jaipur, Ratlam, Mysore, Delhi(Capital of India), Bangalore, Up- Lucknow, Kanyakumari and Orrisa-Puri etc. Check available trains here.
By Air: Raja Bhoj Airport in Bhopal and Devi Ahilyabai Holkar Airport in Indore are two nearby Airports from Omkareshwar. Many flights to various national and international destinations take off from this international airport. Check flights from this webpage.
Stay – Hotels and Resorts at Omkareshwar Temple
There are many budget and luxury hotels and resorts at Omkareshwar and nearby places. which can be checked from here, like-
- MPT Sailani Island Resort
- Hotel Sri Radhe Krishna
- Geeta Shree Hotel and Restaurant
- Rewa Resorts
- Oyo Hotels etc
Some Interesting Facts about Omkareshwar
- The Temple of Omkareshwar was attached by Mughal emperor- Mahmud Gazni in the 11th century but the holy temple is still alive and even became more popular in Hindus.
- Omkareshwar is situated around Hill and Valley which magically creates a sacred shape of – OM.
- In Omkareshwar- Shayan Aarti is performed as it is believed that Lord Shiva come here to sleep.
Related – Also see – Siddhivinayak temple
Details at a glance
Temple – Onkareshwar
Diety – Lord Shiva
Place – Khandwa, Madhya Pradesh, India
Geographic coordinates – 22°14′44.1″N 76°09′03.8″E
Official website as per Wikipedia – click here
Google Map Location – Omkareshwar
How Far is Omkareshwar from Indore
Around 71 Kms
Other Places and Activities at Omkareshwar
- Parikrama Path – Around 7 Kms parikrama of Omkar Hill
- Gauri Somnath Mandir
- Rin Mukteshwar Mahadev
- Ramakrishna Sadhana Kutir
- Shiv Pratima Mandir
- Patali Hanuman Mandir
How do I get to Omkareshwar Temple?
Omkareshwar is closely connected to nearby Airports that are- Indore (Around 75 km) and Ujjain (Approx 130 km). Various private tours and travels, state transport etc can be boarded from nearby railway stations like Ujjain, Indore and Khandwa etc. Omkareshwar’s nearby railway’s station is approx 12 km away. Another Junction and Big Railway station is Indore ( around 71 km).
How many km Ujjain to Omkareshwar?
By road, it is around 138 Kms and train distance is approx 96 Kms.
This is all about Omkareshwar Mandir or Temple, also read the Related –
Temple, Hinduism, jwalamukhi temple,Nagarhole national park,bhimashankar temple, dubare elephant camp, tungnath temple
Also see video at Youtube
Important Temples, Mantras, Chalisa etc as per Vedic Hinduism-
Omkareshwar Temple (ओम्कारेश्वर महादेव ज्योतिर्लिंग )- popularly known as Omkareshwar or Omkareshwar Mandir is a famous Jyotirlinga (Pilgrimage) of Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva’s Omkareshwar Temple is situated on Mandhata Islands which is next to Narmada. There are 12 main Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva and – OMKARESHWAR is one of them. Other famous Shivlings are present … Read more
महामृत्युंजय मंत्र (Mahamrityunjaya Mantra ) एवं जप (jap ) -2022 अत्यंत ही लाभकारी एवं अकाल मृत्यु से बचने का अचूक उपाय माना जाता है . [Read Vedic Mrityunjaya MahaMantra to please lord Shiva.]भोलेनाथ महादेव शिव का आशीर्वाद प्रदान करता है और “कवच” की भाँती रक्षा करता है. महामृत्युंजय जप एवं मंत्र – Lyrics of MahaMrityunjaya Mantra /Jap in Hindi – … Read more
बहुत ही काम लोग यह जानते हैं – शिव ताण्डव स्तोत्र (Shiva Tandava Stotram) या शिवताण्डवस्तोत्रम् लंकापति रावण द्वारा रचित शिव का स्तोत्र है. सभी जानते हैं के रावण परम शिव भक्त था. शास्त्रों के अनुसार – रावण ने संसार को अपने बल का परिचय देने के लिए अहंकार वश कैलाश पर्वत उठा लिया था। उसकी मंशा थी की शिवजी को … Read more
पढ़िए और डाउनलोड कीजिये- शिव चालीसा | 2022 शिव चालीसा भगवान शिव के रूप का ध्यान करते हुए एकांत में शांत चित्त होकर शिव चालीसा का पाठ कीजिये। भगवन शिव आपके सभी दुःख को हर लेंगे। Related- Hanuman Chalisa, Durga Chalisa, Ganesh chalisa, Ram Raksha Stotra, Kanakadhara Stotra http://hanumanjichalisa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/lord-shiva-chalisa-mantra-path-hindi.mp4 Shiv Chalisa in Hindi | शिव चालीसा पाठ … Read more